carpet moth treatment Leicester.
Here at 1stclass Carpet Cleaners we seen over 100 carpet moth infestations across Leicester, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Northmptonshire and ued our carpet moth treatment helping to keep your lovely wool carpets and rugs safe from any more damage caused by these pests. we have also carried out many carpet repairs across Leicestershire and the east midlands from the damage they have caused.
Common questions about carpet moths.
What is a carpet moth?
- Tineola bisselliella, known as the common clothes moth or carpet moth. The moth is a small moth of between 6–7 mm with a light brown head and wings( see the photo below).
When do carpet moths come out?
- Although carpet moths are now an all-year-round problem with most homes having central heating that keeps them active even in winter, spring is the season in which most carpet moths start to emerge and start looking for somewhere to mate and lay eggs.
How have i got carpet moths in my house or business?
- They can get in the house as tiny eggs, picked up on shoes or by pet dogs and cats. Second hand furniture or rugs, particularly antiques, can also inadvertently bring them in. Outdoors, carpet moths manage a couple of life cycles a year and are normally dormant in winter.
What damage do carpet moths do?
Have a look at the photo below, The moth its self is only interested in reproducing its the larvae that eats away at the fibers and does the actual damage.
What should you do now you have carpet moth?
The problem with carpet moths is they like to hide away to lay their eggs where they wont be disturbed and have more of a chance to hatch and become larvae, so they can be hidden under rugs, springboards, beds etc. once they hatch that is when the trouble begins and the damage starts!! the larvae will look like little rolled up bits of tissue( see the top photo) most people will not even think about what these could be and dismiss them as bits of food or what ever and simply hover them up.
As soon as you are aware that you have carpet moth in your home or business the best thing to do is to call us and book us in. We are highly trained in textile insect pest control and have treated over 100 carpet moth cases across Leicester, leicestershire and the midlands. We will advise you of what you need to do before we arrive and on the day explain again to insure everyone’s safety in the home or business before we carry out the fumigation process. once treated we will inform you of the time (1 hour) you are allowed to enter back into the property.
This treatment will ensure that all the carpet moths at all cycles are killed off and stopping any further damage to you carpets in your home or business in Leicester, leicestershire and the midlands and offer any carpet repair service if needed. KILL THE CARPET MOTH LIFE CYCLE, KILL THE PROBLEM!. call us or send us a message from our contact page.
Tips how to get rid of carpet moth larvae.
- Change vacuum bags often – to make sure you remove larvae & eggs from your property, emptying your vacuum outside & carefully double bag the content before placing in outside bin.
- Wash all fabrics – soft furnishings, linens, rugs, blankets, curtains & towels in the affected area – moth larvae find these as tasty as clothes.
- Keep clothes clean – female moths like to lay eggs on fabrics stained with sweat or urine as the larvae gain more nutrients from these. Always clean clothes before putting them back in your wardrobe.
- Clean and wash down affected furniture – wardrobes, cupboards and drawers, especially cracks & crevices where moth eggs can be hidden out of sight.
- Clean suitcases – bags, storage boxes & containers as these might be hiding more eggs or larvae.
- Check vintage – purchases whether vintage clothes or antique linens & soft furnishings should be dry cleaned or treated before being placed with existing fabrics.
- Be vigilant – keep a constant look out for holes in garments & keep rooms dry and well-ventilated.
Carpet repair from carpet moths
Good news!!! we can repair small areas of eaten away carpets with our carpet repairs. if you have off cuts of carpets from when you had your carpets fitted then we can simply cut out the damaged areas and replace them with an identical cut out from the off cuts but don’t worry if you haven’t because we can source the carpet (this will be added to the bill) from colour bank carpets. we will do our best to blend the new area of carpet in and make it near enough impossible to notice!.